Blue Dragon (game)
Shadow: Killer Bat
|Listing - Category|
Zola(ゾラ, Zora) is the tritagonist in the Blue Dragon video games and the Blue Dragon anime metaseries created by Hironobu Sakaguchi and characters drawn by Akira Toriyama. Zola is one of the main characters in the Blue Dragon universe.
In the game and anime english version of Blue Dragon, she is voiced by Cindy Robinson. In the Japanese version of the game, she is voiced by Houko Kuwashima. Romi Park voices her in the Japanese anime.
- Video Game: Zola was a mercenary for some time before the events of Blue Dragon. One day, she was ambushed by a group of enemies and was unable to defeat them. Just before a fatal blow was dealt, time froze and Nene granted her a light sphere in exchange for her service. Time unfroze and her new Killer Bat Shadow defeated the remaining foes. Zola then became the leader of the Jibral Blademasters, which is when the events of Blue Dragon begin to unfold. It is later revealed that she was Nene's "loyal servant" and that she was the voice who told them to swallow the Light Spheres. She then turns on Nene and says that if she, "Were to betray someone, it wouldn't be Shu and his friends. It would be you Nene!" She then defeats him with Killer Bat and takes the Light Sphere. After Shu and the others tell her not to take the Light Sphere, she throws it over the Eternal Engine Nene was hooked up to.
- Anime: Zola is considered a Knight Master for her keen senses and expert swordsmanship and was looking for descendants of the Seven Soldiers before meeting with Shu. Unlike the game, she is not a spy for Nene, though she did work for Gran Kingdom under General Logi before leaving for her own ambitions. When she was a child, Zola lost her father in an accident while researching ruins with him and Nene. She was the only survivor besides Nene and in sadness and despair she gave into the darkness, and the creature sealed within the ruins, Killer Bat. In the end, she turned evil because of Killer Bat chasing out her "good-side". Later it was revealed that the true evil was none other than Zola, who was the avatar of the legendary darkness.
Shadow EditZola is the owner of the shadow, Killer Bat.
- Video Game: Unlike it's purplish shading in the anime, Killer Bat is blue. He experiences in the ways of an assassin, such as attacking first or attacking twice in one move. When she does her corporeal move (a.k.a tension) Killer Bat turns gray ( and very large).
- Anime: Her shadow, Killer Bat, is quite mute and is unusual from his game version. In that he is the only Shadow of the party who is armed with a weapon (specifically a sword). She serves as the leader of the group, being the most mature and intelligent. It was only after Nene's death that Zola's true intentions for gathering the Shadow Wielders were revealed to unleash the darkness that plagued the world. Killer Bat then merges with Zola to form a demonic version of her. With the help of Jiro, Kluke, Marumaro, Bouquet, General Logi, Delphinium, and Deathroy, Shu was able to vanquish the Demon Zola. With Killer Bat defeated, Zola's body crashes to the ground motionless. Zola was seen smiling when the darkness was sealed; speculation implies that although she was released it, she was glad that Shu defeated her and helped seal the darkness. This episode is the first and last episode Killer Bat ever spoke.
Blue Dragon (Xbox 360 VG)Edit
- Video Game: Zola is a playable character in Blue Dragon and Blue Dragon Plus. A former mecenary serving as the leader of King Jibral's Blademasters. She is the only character besides Shu who uses a visible weapon besides just her Shadow. She is also the only character who never loses her Shadow as part of the storyline.
swallow the spheres. She says this again when they are assaulted by robots. After they comply, her voice is never heard in this manner again.
Zola makes her first story appearance and can be played as first when the travelling survivors of Talta Village are attacked on their way to Jibral. She is among the warriors with King Jibral and joins Shu, Jiro, Kluke and Marumaro in battling the group of Steel-eating Tigers.
She then leads the group in their mission to shut down Nene's Flying Fortress and shuts down the base for good while Shu and his friends battle General Szabo. Zola then helps King Jibral and his army to escape the base befroe it crashes. Shu and his friends follow in a stolen mechat moments later.
Zola fades slightly in her storyline role until Kluke is abducted by Nene. After they follow and rescue Kluke they rush to Nene to stop him from killing Kluke with a bomb. Just before they arrive at Nene's room, the remains of Szabo chase them. Zola agrees to battle Szabo while the others defeat Nene.
Though Zola succeeds in defeating Szabo, Shu, Jiro, Kluke and Marumaro are defeated by Nene and lose their ability to use Shadows. They escape and learn to regain their magic, then find Zola a short time later. Zola has taken one of Nene's mechats and rejoins the companions in their quest to defeat Nene. They witness the planet being split and reformed thanks to Nene's tampering with the Ancient's technology. After making their way into the masses of cube worlds that spill out from the planet, they find the cube Nene is based at.
After battling their way through swathes of enemies, they finally reach and defeat Nene twice. Nene lies amidst the ruins of his battle suit and then asks Zola.
Blue Dragon (anime) Edit
She serves as the leader of the group, being the most mature and intelligent. It was only after Nene's death that Zola's true intentions for gathering the Shadow Wielders were revealed...the evil within Killer Bat corrupts Zola causing her to unleash the darkness that plagued the world. Killer Bat then merges with Zola to form a demonic version of her. With the help of Jiro, Kluke, Marumaro, Bouquet, General Logi, Delphinium and Deathroy, Shu was able to vanquish the Demon Zola. With Killer Bat defeated, Zola's body crashes to the ground motionless. Afterwards, while the others struggle to seal the darkness, Zola appears before Shu, and seemingly sacrifices herself to seal the darkness.
Blue Dragon: Tenkai no Shichi RyūEdit
However, it would be later revealed in the second series that only the darkness within Zola died. The good within her (which was driven off by Killer Bat) was found by White Brigade leader Dr. Tarkovsky who used it to create Primella.
In the game he is impressed by her skills and respected her actions, although like the others, he was just as shocked when everyone found out she had been working for Nene.
In the anime she arrives at his village and after defeating Gran Kingdom soldiers she told him to come with her. Like the game, he was quite aggrieved at her betrayal of their trust and friendship. However, Shu still stubbornly willing to go to greater lengths to confront her of her mistakes as he still believes that there is still good in left in her and because he believed that she truly consider him and the others as friend. After successfully defeating her, he then quickly forgives her of her mistakes due to the fact that he values her their friendship much more.
Zola admire Shu's determination and sometimes his stubbornness in his tendency to save that world as she might regard this as one of the most important qualities in an individual. Zola strongly believes in his potential capability to do so. She felt a pleasured satisfaction for him achieving his goals as she displayed a genuine smile before departing to afterlife.
In the game she doesn't interact much with Jiro, although he was the one who figured out Nene was using her power as insurance to his own.
In the anime Zola was the one who found Jiro after his village was destroyed. He traveled with her and she taught him swordsmanship and possibly hand to hand combat skills in which he wielded professionally. This was further demonstrated in season 2. They are the closest in the anime. Their relationship seem to demonstrate a sisterly-brotherly relationship. However, when Jiro can't control his emotions she usually tells him off, like at the end of Season 1.
In the game not much is known about their relationship, However, in the anime. Zola acts like a motherly figure to her, like in episode 3. She admired and complimented her of her compassionate personality and encourages her to continue her acts of compassion. As she had once told her "you're a kind person and that one day kindness will become your greatest strengths".
In the game she seems to like him despite his loud shouts at her and his continual saying of "LOVE!" Like the time she kissed his forehead to make some girls leave him alone.
In the anime she is the one who lets Marumaro free after the group captures him. She also allows him to join the group despite his perverted actions.
- "Do you recall when you swallowed the Light Spheres and the voice that told you to?" - Zola after Nene tells Shu and the gang she was a spy for him all along
- "Marumaro, you're Shadow is very cool." - When she meets up with Shu and the gang in Disc 3
- "But your majesty, this is the only finger it will fit on." - After King Jibral tells her that "a ring on that finger signifies for marriage"
- "I see. So you really care for Shu." - Zola after she asks why Kluke came along with Shu on his journey in Blue Dragon anime
- "You're a kind person, and someday, that kindness will be your greatest strength." - After Kluke says, "No, it's not like that, Zola!" in Blue Dragon anime
- "Just when I thought it was over, time suddenly stood still." - Zola when telling her story on how she got her Shadow to Shu and the gang in the game
- "If I were going to betray anyone, it wasn't going to be Shu and his friends. It would be you, Nene!" - Zola after turning on Nene.
- "There's a time and place for everything. That's always been your weakness"- After Jiro attempted to summon his shaddow
- "In fact, if I were to be perfectly honest with you I may not even necessarily be your ally" - Episode 1
"I said I'm sick of listening to you! Now put up or shut up!" - While fighting Lemaire in episode 11 after he said "What did you just say?"
- She seems to display exceptional interpersonal skills as she appeared to be wise and rational in terms of making decisions and can mostly motivate herself in the face of difficult situations.
- In the anime of Blue Dragon, Zola wears a red bandana instead of black and seems to have a tan unlike her game version.
- Unlike the game, Zola is not working for Nene, but is seeking to make the world full of darkness.
- In the anime Zola's shadow can wield a sword, unlike her game shadow which fights without one.
- Zola in Latin means "ball of earth" and the name Zola is also derived from the African word Zulu meaning "peaceful" or "tranquil" which oddly suited her perfectly regarding her calm demeanour.
- There is a possibility that she displayed both her interest and strengths in areas of history and archaeology based on the her statement that she found it "a rare opportunity and an honour" in getting to see "the oldest book in the world" (the Book of the Beginning) during her brief conversation with Conrad and she seem to demonstrate her knowledge and understanding of the a historical manuscript.